Friday, January 16, 2009

Montepulciano d'Abruzzo and Forgettable Pop Stars


I tried the 2007 Quattro Mani Montepulciano d'Abruzzo tonight. I'm still trying to expand my palate when it comes to Italian wines and this is my first Montepulciano d'Abruzzo. I found this wine in Massachusetts for about $14. The color was nice, with a dark purple, red hue that you could just see your fingers through. When I popped and poured the wine, it was not a pretty nose: dirty laundry, garrigue, and a slight hint of berries. The mouthfeel was rather austere and harsh, although there were hints of a more fruity wine.

I decided to let it breathe in the bottle for two hours while I cooked my empanadas. This was a great idea. The Quattro Mani changed completely. The nose had extreme amounts of cherries and cassis, with a minty freshness. It started off with fruity, sweet tannins (cherry Jell-O, clear as day) and a spicy finish, including vanilla and cinnamon. This bottle was definitely redeemed in my eyes.

It's certainly a serviceable bottle (after two hours breathing), but certainly not complex or noteworthy. It reminds me of a semi-talented, but ultimately forgettable pop star. She might have a good voice, but someone else writes all of her song lyrics and another writes the music. Like Diana DeGarmo. It's fun while it lasts, but don't expect it to age well. In ten years, you'll pull out her CD and wonder why you bought it.

As for the empanadas, I got the recipe from here, but I substituted the olives for peas. Quite delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment